Building a healthy meal in a bowl is simple. Start with a grain like farro or wild or brown rice. Add one or more proteins. This recipe contains two protein types — chicken sausage and beans. Then add a substantial green vegetable, and possibly some mushrooms for an umami boost of savory flavor. The combinations are limitless! You can have an easy weeknight meal on the table in about 45 minutes or less, depending on how quickly you can chop up the kale.
I keep a container of prepared grains in the refrigerator for just this sort of meal. Steam up a batch of farro, quinoa or rice and use throughout the week as needed.
Sausage, Beans, Farro and Kale Bowl Recipe
- Aidell’s 12 oz Chicken and Apple sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 cans Goya pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups farro, cooked according to package directions
- 4 cups kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth (use more if needed)
- salt and a few cranks of pepper, to taste
Warm oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering and spreads easily. Add sausage to skillet and brown on both sides. Add beans, kale and vegetable broth and increase heat so liquid is brought to a low boil. Cover skillet, lower heat to simmer and cook until kale is wilted, about 20 minutes. Stir sausage mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To build bowl, spoon 1/2 cup warmed farro and ladle sausage mixture over it.